Telemedicine Appointments at Third Coast Foot and Ankle
Can’t make it to our office? No problem!
We know it can be challenging at times to come in for an appointment. This can be especially true when major, widespread events like COVID-19 impact all of our lives.
Yet at the same time, it is important that you find the relief and treatment you need. Some matters can’t or shouldn’t have to wait.
Fortunately, we have a way for you to stay on top of managing your foot and ankle care even when you are unable to come to our office in person:
No matter whether you’re limited by illness or quarantine, lack of transportation, scheduling conflicts, or any other reason, a telemedicine appointment is how you can still receive expert insight and analysis from a foot and ankle specialist.
What is telemedicine?
Telemedicine is when a doctor uses video conferencing to provide clinical services to you, without having to meet for an in-person visit.
Essentially, this allows us to remotely perform a visual inspection of your foot or ankle, communicate directly with you, and answer any questions you may have – all while you remain in the comfort of your own home.
There are a variety of specific telemedicine tools and technologies. At Third Coast Foot and Ankle, we hold our appointments via Zoom or Apple’s FaceTime app. Here is how it works:
- Contact our office as normal to request a telemedicine appointment.
- If connecting via Zoom, we will provide you a link. When the appointment time arrives, click this link on the device you wish to use to reach us.
- If connecting via FaceTime, we can call you at the appointed time.
Is telemedicine right for you?
Appointment types that work very well for a virtual consultation include:
- Initial inspections. Dr. Meier can visually inspect your foot or ankle over video, providing a diagnosis and/or recommendations on the next steps.
- Check-up appointments. We can examine the progress of a current treatment, or how a wound or injury is healing.
- Questions and advice. Have a question about your health care and want answers from a real medical professional? Telemedicine is by far the easiest way to do it.
Our telemedicine appointments are ideal for anyone who must stay home, has caretaking commitments, or does not have transportation to get to our office. Anyone is welcome to request one.
What do you need for your appointment?
Before scheduling your telemedicine appointment, please ensure that you have or will have:
- A device capable of making and receiving video calls, such as a smartphone, tablet, or laptop computer with a webcam and microphone.
- A stable, reliable internet connection.
- A private, quiet, and well-lit location to take the call.
If using Zoom, downloading the Zoom app is often not necessary. However, it can sometimes be helpful. Please visit the Zoom Download Center for various options.
If using FaceTime, please ensure the device you are using supports it. This basically consists of most devices containing the iOS operating system.
We also encourage you to have a trusted family member or member of your household present with you. They can provide camera assistance or help you take notes as needed.
Is telemedicine covered by insurance?
While telemedicine services have been increasingly covered by insurance companies, the answer depends on your specific provider and plan. Please contact your insurance provider to ensure you have the most up-to-date information on telemedicine coverage.
How can you request your telemedicine appointment?
If you’re ready to request your telemedicine appointment with Dr. Meier please complete the form on this page.
A member of our office will follow up with you during our regular office hours to schedule your appointment, make sure you have everything you need, and answer any questions you may have.
We look forward to serving you—wherever you happen to be!